Hopefully, the answer is yes given the storm outlook issued last week by NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. It’s predicting another “above-normal” Atlantic Hurricane Season, which officially kicks off on June 1, 2021. And, that could spell serious trouble, especially for areas hard hit during the epic 2020 season (30 named storms and 12 landfalling storms in the continental U.S.).  

Forecasters with the Climate Prediction Center are predicting a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. That equates to:  

–       13 to 20 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher)

–       6 to 10 hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher)

–       3 to 5 major hurricanes (category 3, 4, or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher) 

While these numbers may sound grim, there is a bit of good news. NOAA experts “do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020.” However, as NOAA’s acting administrator, Ben Friedman, recently reminded everyone, “It only takes one storm to devastate a community.”  

For that simple reason, those living or working in areas where hurricanes may strike, should do everything possible to get and just as important, stay, prepared. And they should do so now while things are still calm, relatively speaking. (There has already been one named storm, Ana, to form and thankfully, dissipate, in 2021.)

Next on the list is Bill, Claudette, Danny, Elsa, Fred, Grace, Henri, Ida, Julian, Kate, Larry, Mindy, Nicholas, Odette, Peter, Rose, Sam, Teresa, Victor, and Wanda. 

As evidenced by the unprecedented storms of 2020, hurricanes are unpredictable forces of nature. And they can have a devastating and long-term impact on people, the environment, the economy, and so many other aspects of everyday life. Don’t let your community or organization get caught off guard this hurricane season. (It runs all the way to November 30th!).