Maybe it’s time for a second read of FEMA’s COVID-19 Operational Guidance for the 2020 Hurricane Season. The guidance, according to FEMA, provides actions emergency managers and public officials can take to prepare for response and recovery operations during ongoing COVID-19 response efforts. Specifically, it:
- Describes anticipated challenges to disaster operations posed by COVID-19.
- Highlights planning considerations for emergency managers based on current challenges.
- Outlines how FEMA plans to adapt response and recovery operations.
- Creates a shared understanding of expectations between FEMA and emergency managers.
- Includes guidance, checklists, and resources to support emergency managers’ response and recovery planning.
Private sector and non-governmental organizations can (and should) also use the guidance to gain an understanding of the government’s posture, planning, and readiness efforts.
2020 is already a year for the record books given the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, say the weather experts, it may also be one of the worst Atlantic hurricane seasons in the last 170 years. Stay healthy, stay safe, and stay prepared in these very unusual times.
FEMA’s COVID-19 Operational Guidance for the 2020 Hurricane Season is available for download at: https://www.fema.gov/media-collection/covid-19-pandemic-operational-guidance-2020-hurricane-season.